Smog Inspections

How do I know what type of smog I need?


  If your DMV registration renewal notice states your vehicle requires a smog check at a STAR station, your vehicle must go to a station that is a STAR test only or test and repair station.

Why a STAR station?


 STAR stations meet higher performance standards.

Some STAR stations are licensed to perform Test Only and others are licensed to perform BOTH Tests and Repairs. 

 El Primo Auto Center is a STAR Test AND Repair facility. El Primo can repair the vehicle AND retest in the same facility! 

Failed Smog and need help?


  Income-eligible consumers who meet program requirements may receive up to $500 in emissions-related repairs at a STAR test-and-repair station after their vehicle fails its biennial Smog Check inspection.

Repair Assistance

Have an older vehicle that's tired?


  Consumers who meet eligibility requirements may receive either $1,000 or $1,500 to voluntarily retire their operational vehicle from California roadways at a BAR-contracted dismantler site.

Vehicle Retirement

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?


  The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.


The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. (A vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?



Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

  • Gasoline powered 1975-year model or older
  • Diesel powered 1997-year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than      14,000 lbs.
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
  • Motorcycle